I had been stranded in the book of Hebrews last week, particularly in a topic about faith. Then it’s a perfect timing how I coincidentally checked on one of Joyce Meyer’s preaching about “How faith works”…
I found the ‘topic’ so practical and so I’d love to share it to you, just in case you prefer to read than watch and listen for long hours and just wanted to get the main points instead.
Here it is…
- Life point: If you ever want to see your faith work; you’re going to have to totally give up self pity. Anything not done by faith is a sin. Worry is a sin. Doubting is a sin.
Philippians 4:6-7 says, “Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.”
- Patience is how we act or behave while we wait.
You can wait with expectation. You can wait with a good conversation. You can wait and spend your time being a blessing to somebody else. That’s a cool thing to do. But if you’re like “I can’t do this anymore…I’m just going to quit…what took it so long? I’m going to give up…this is not working…” then you can start all over again.
Hebrews 6:15 says, “And so after waiting patiently, Abraham received what was promised.”
Abraham waited 20 years…Joseph was imprisoned for 13 years or something when he didn’t do wrong. It’s fun when you’re having a dream. Joseph had a dream. He got all excited. He shut his mouth off to his brothers, got into a little pride saying “he he…You’re going to bow down to me.”
Do you need a trip somewhere on the backside and nowhere? Does somebody right now in the wilderness of your life and riding on or not and working some junk in you that needs to come out before you’ll going to be ready to have what God has promise you?
- You need to learn to enjoy where you’re at on the way where you’re going.
- Faith only works and is energize by love. What kind of a love walk do you have? How much do you study love? How well do you know the Scripture on love? How do you treat people? How many people are you mad at?
Galatians 5:6 says, “For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision nor uncircumcision has any value. The only thing that counts is faith expressing itself through love.”
Paul was a little fed up with the Galatians who were always talking about circumcision, not circumcised, I’m better than you because I’m circumcised, you need to be circumcised…
a. Paul said, “Quit being so neat picky about the rules and regulations of religion and just get busy loving each other.”
It’s ridiculous the way different denominations fight, neat pick and shut each other out because we all don’t believe exactly the same way. So who’s right? None of us is 100 % right. Not me, not you, not anybody else. We’re all doing the best we can for where we’re at.
b. The fruit of our lives is more important than anything else. Paul said “just get busy loving each other because faith only works and is energize by love.”
- Faith is always at rest.
Mark 11:22-25 says, “Have faith in God,” Jesus answered. “I tell you the truth, if anyone say to this mountain, ‘Go, throw yourself into the sea,’ and does not doubt in his heart but believes that what he says will happen, it will be done for him. Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believed that you have received it, and it will be yours. And when you stand praying, if you hold anything against anyone, forgive him, so that your Father in heaven may forgive you your sins.”
Hebrews 4:3 says, “Now we who have believed enter that rest, just as God has said, ‘So I declared on oath in my anger, ‘They shall never enter my rest.’ And yet His work has been finished since the creation of the world.”
- Faith needs to be released. It’s a force that’s in your spirit. There was a time in my life when I was only released in my faith for the forgiveness of my sins and to go to heaven someday when I die. I wasn’t releasing my faith in any other areas. I’m not releasing my faith to overcome or to be healed from my abusive past. I wasn’t releasing my faith to do anything for God or to be use by God. I wasn’t releasing my faith for finances. We just barely got by all the time.
- Faith always brings results.
Luke 7:50 says, “Jesus said to the woman, ‘Your faith has saved you; go in peace.”
Luke 17:19 says, “Then He said to him, ‘Rise and go; your faith has made you well.”
If you need to take medicine or if you need to go to the doctor but don’t do anything without trusting God to bring healing in your life, I don’t believe there’s any medicine or any doctor that can help us if we don’t have our faith in God to make it work. Jesus is our healer. There’s no healing apart from God. Even the wisdom of medical profession has today, they got it from God and its good thing that He gave it to them or we’ll all be dead. I wouldn’t go to a doctor without praying which one to go to. Don’t take that medicine without praying to God to bless it and anoint it and make it work.
- Above all, trust God for healing because even when medicine or man can’t do it, God can still heal you. He’s still a miracle working God.
- Faith protects us from the fiery darts of the enemy.
Ephesians 6:16 says, “In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one.”
10. We receive all of God’s blessings through faith. We’re made right, justified, sanctified, forgiven, redeemed by faith.
11.We do great things for God by faith.
READ: Hebrews 11: 7-31
12. Faith grows and increases as you use it.
13. We do things by faith and there’s always a reward.
14. Faith has to fight.
1 Timothy 6:12 says, “Fight the good fight of faith. Take hold of the eternal life to which you were called when you made your good confession in the presence of many witnesses.”
1 Peter 5:9 says, “Resist the devil, standing firm in the faith, because you know that your brothers throughout the world are undergoing the same kind of sufferings.”
Luke 10:19 says, “I have given you authority to trample on snakes and scorpions and to overcome all the power of the enemy; nothing will harm you.”
You have power and authority over all the power the enemy possesses. The devil only has power, but you have power and authority. The only authority he has is what you give in.
15. Faith is the only thing that conquers fear.
Fear is so prevalent in the world today. The bible says that in the last days, men’s heart will fail them for fear. Many Christians are so afraid of the conditions of the world today. I’m not afraid. If I’m going to be afraid for anything it would be if the people are lost so I want to keep on working as hard as I can, trying to get the good news to them while I can. And I want to be informed and I want to do my part and I’m not going to stick my head on the ground and act like there’s nothing bad going on but I refuse to be afraid of it. If God has chosen you and I to be alive in this day and hour then we’re up for it. We’ve got what it takes.
To God be the glory!